Researching August holidays and celebrations proved once again that assumptions can be oh so wrong!
I was amazed by the number of named days and monthly celebrations that came up.
My favorites by far are Play in the Sand Day, Bad Poetry Day (which I definitely will not celebrate), Kiss and Make Up Day and Rice Pudding Day – which I will celebrate with Vietnamese rice pudding made from rice vermicelli. YUM!!!
Here are 2 lists of all the holidays and celebrations coming up in August.
- 1st – Civic Holiday in most of Canada (first Monday in August)
- 1st – Picnic Day in Australia (first Monday in August)
- 1st – Respect for Parents’ Day
- 1st – Sport’s Day
- 2nd – National Ice Cream Sandwich Day
- 3rd – National Watermelon Day
- 4th – Coast Guard Day
- 4th – National Chocolate Chip Day
- 5th – National Waffle Day
- 6th – National Mustard Day
- 6th – Wiggle Your Toes Day
- 7th – American Family Day (First Sunday in August)
- 7th – Friendship Day (First Sunday in August)
- 7th – Sea Serpent Day
- 8th – Dollar Day – The US dollar was created.
- 9th – International Day of the World’s Indigenous People
- 9th – National Rice Pudding Day
- 10th – S’Mores Day
- 11th – Play in the Sand Day
- 12th – Middle Children’s Day
- 13th – International Left-Handers Day
- 13th – National Filet Mignon Day
- 14th – National Creamsicle Day
- 15th – National Relaxation Day
- 16th – Roller Coaster Day
- 17th – Archeology Day
- 18th – Bad Poetry Day
- 19th – National Aviation Day
- 19th – Potato Day
- 20th – Observed on the third Saturday of August every year.
- 20th – National Radio Day
- 22nd – Be An Angel Day
- 23rd – National Sponge Cake Day
- 24th – National Peach Pie Day
- 24th – Strange Music Day
- 25th – Kiss and Make Up Day
- 25th – National Banana Split Day
- 26th – National Dog Day
- 26th – Women’s Equality Day
- 28th – Dream Day (Anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech)
- 28th – National Cherry Turnover Day
- 30th – National Toasted Marshmallow Day
- 31st – National Trail Mix Day
In terms of month-long celebrations, I know that there are many of you who will join me in celebrating Home Business and National Golf month.
- American Artist Appreciation Month
- Foot Health Month
- Home Business Month
- National Catfish Month
- National Golf Month
- National Inventors Month
- National Water Quality Month
In terms of affiliate marketing, I think the foodies win this one hands down.
Seriously, who with a food blog could resist doing a “Happy Potato Day” post?
Hmmm… that could be fun to do on almost any blog.
Maybe we should make it a movement – ’cause who doesn’t love potatoes?
Note: If you’ve never been, the best potatoes in the world are grown and cooked in Ecuador. Their Locro de Papa soup (Potato-Cheese Soup With Avocado) is probably the world’s ultimate comfort food… and a heart attack waiting to happen.
OK, that was an aside. What would you sell to celebrate Potato Day?
Mr. Potato Head of course!
Alright, that was perhaps a little over the top, but you can see how letting your mind wander (and get a little twisted) will fire those neurons to come up with unique ideas — stuff no one else is blogging about — even when it seems like there’s NOTHING to blog about in a given month.
OK, now start thinking about sea serpents!
Comments, questions or suggestions? Please leave a comment below!