Bye Bye Google Reader

Google Reader is set to meet its demise on July 1st, 2013.

Those of you who use a reader to aggregate news from your favorite feeds should therefore switch to a new reader now.

I chose to go with Feedly.

Provided you are logged into your Google account, the transition is completely painless, and takes only a few seconds to import all of your feed data.

You simply go to Feedly.com and it immediately gives you the option to import your Google Reader data. Click the link and you are presented with the following screen.

feedly

After you click ‘Accept’, your Google Reader feeds are imported in seconds.

feedly-2

Other feed reader options include NewsBlur and the Old Reader.

Which one do you plan to use?

Comments

1. Sue says

You are right about Google Reader. And thank you for the options for making the switch.

Thanks for the Feedly share! It is curious how Google decided to eliminate Reader . . .I have to wonder why and what other plans Google has to add or subtract services. Would love to be fly on the wall in their R&D department :)

Thanks Rosalind, I had heard about it but completely ignored it… didn’t want to have another task to think about (procrastinating is my second name;). And thanks for the link. You made it easy for me :)

4. Corinne says

Thanks for the heads up and referral to Feedly Ros! I like the looks of Feedly and it seems really user friendly :-)

5. Catherine says

Rosalind, thanks a lot for this very vital information, and also for being on top of issues where internet marketing updates are concerned. I have just switched to feebly with such ease. Thanks once again, appreciated.

Thanks for the FEEDLY share. I looked at it a month ago but with the new import button its dead easy – especially if you are signed in already

Seems to me Google are starting to bite the hand that feeds them. I just hope they don’t decide to send ALERTS down the same path.

Regards

NIck

7. Ocha says

Yes, it’s sad to say goodbye to GR. As things come and go, I too have prepared to lay it to rest. And thus, the birth of Feedly. A small learning curve but nothing we can’t handle. I guess change is good but I was happy enough before.