Spam: SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.

Boy oh boy, these spammer folks ARE getting creative. Posted below is perhaps the sickest one I’ve seen yet and I just pray that there aren’t good people out there who are feeling scared or responding to this nonsensical garbage – because it is just that, complete and utter nonsense. If you read it through, it actually seems quite hilarious.

Subject [Suspected Spam] SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.
From ANTHONIO BENITO
Date Saturday, May 24, 2008 1:34 pm

SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.

I felt very sorry and bad for you, that your life is going to end like this if you don’t comply, i was paid to eliminate you and I have to do it within10 days. Someone you call your friend wants you dead by all means, and the person havespent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told us that he wants you dead and he provided us your names, photograph and other necessary information we needed about you.

If you are in doubt with this I will send you your name and where you are residing in my next mail. Meanwhile, I have sent my boys to track you down and they have carried out the necessary investigation needed for the operation, but I ordered them to stop for a while and not to strike immediately because I just felt something goodand sympathetic about you. I decided to contact you first and know why somebody will want you dead by all means. Right now my men are monitoring you, their eyesare on you, and even the place you think is safer for you to hide might not be. Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? It is up to you. Get back to me now if you areready to enter deal with me, I mean life trade, who knows, and I might just spear your life, $12,000 is all you need to spend.

You will first of all pay $4,000 then I will send the tape of the person that want you dead to you and when the tape gets to you, you will pay the remaining $8,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will have no choice but to carry on the assignment after all I have already being paid before now.

Warning: Do not think of contacting the police or even tell anyone because Iwill extend it to any member of your family since you are aware that somebodywant you dead, and the person knows some members of your family as well. For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action.

Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact: final.bulletpointservice@gmail.com

Mr.Anthonio Benito.

Comments

Hey Ros.

I know that’s crazy! I normally just ignore spam and don’t turn anyone in any more because there is just so much.

But every time I get that one in my Yahoo mail I forward to abuse@yahoo and tell them it’s not only spam but an attempt at extortion and a death threat and senders should be turned into the Feds.

To us it’s obviously spam, but some poor old grandma out there who’s not up on the net and gullible could be scared by this. I doubt anyone would pay, but still…

BTW THANKS so much for mentioning on your Pepperjam interview that 5 Star is one of your favorite blogs. Means A LOT and wanted to let you know I saw it!

Linda Buquet

Hey Linda,

You’re absolutely right. I used to forward those things religiously but somewhere along the line got tired I guess. Will start anew now that you mention it.

As to the PJN mention… my pleasure, ’cause you’re my fave newshound! :-)

• Syed says

I replied to the message like this:-

Sorry because earlier i replied to you with F— You. My intention is to make you angry. Finally i realized that you tried to be kind to me. As a return i want you to gain more income. Why must you get only 8000? Why not 65000. I suggest you get the 65000. Maybe my friend is trying to help me.

I am suffering from esophagus cancer and carried out and operation. I do not know how long I will survive. I have to rely on morphine provided by hospital to fight against the pain.

I will try my best to go out after 700pm to make your operation easy. I hope your team will shoot me with more bullets to end my life. I’m not scared to die since i cannot stand with the pain. Thank you very much and thanks again for the intention to spare my life with 8000 only. Now as a return you will get 65000 from my unknown friend. This matter is not reported to police. After I die my family will get the insurance and my provident fund and this will support my children’s education.
      I hope your operation will success and thank you very much.

Ros,

I got the same email and followed the IP addresses.

The email originated from a Microsoft Outlook client via a Microsoft Exchange Server from the offices of an ISP that’s located in one of the North Africa countries. Can’t remember the country name any more.

Dewald

Yes, there are those of us who know where the delete key is on our computer, but there are some who don’t know it’s not legit.

It’s why crime amongst the elderly or disadvantaged is so high. Thank goodness there are some law enforcement agencies who are doing free seminars for the elderly and disadvantaged so they know it’s a scam.

As for those who get sucked into an email like that one can only hope the experience isn’t too devastating.

Thanks for posting it, because the more information that is out there about scams like this the more aware people become and knowledge is power.

Best,
    Christine Bean

4. mariposaman says

Besides being annoying it is also illegal. I am not saying that the spamming part is illegal which it is, but uttering a death threat is a serious crime. The fact that it goes by email over the internet seems to get it brushed off. If it was the same threat uttered in person, by mail or by telephone, everyone would be all over this.

I hear you about forwarding all this junk to the isps and email providers. It is not easy and is time consuming and seems ineffective. By the time I report 10 there are 10 more to take its place. They do not make it easy reporting and I think other than Paypal, they would rather you not do so because they would have to hire more staff to handle the overwhelming flood of spam that no-one, in spite of ineffective laws and billions of dollars spent on the anti-spam industry, seems to be able to stop.

5. cedric says

Honnestly, I think this SPAM is crossing a yellow line: it is not anymore about using your own greed against you, but it is a threat letter. Can any of you think of ANY context ouside the internet where this would be acceptable? I cannot.

To give you an image: I don’t particuly approve guys selling counterfit goods on the street but I do not feel them as a threat (althgouh if you think where the money goes.. but that’s not the toipic). Yet, I would feel very uneasy if they were waving guns at me, loaded or unloaded. That would be my definition of crossing a yellow line.

Cedric

6. Kathleen Campos says

I just got this email…..Can’t people just find something else to do?!
    Hopefully someone doesn’t think it is real…..

i recieved one of these myself this week and was looking for info on it and were a good place to report this to ,, if you can give me a e-mail or web site to send this to i would appreciate it ,,thanks,

8. Sally says

I received that one, too. I certainly hope nobody fell for it. Ordinarily, I don’t bother to look at spam. I don’t get much of it, thank heaven. The subject line in this one caught my attention because it certainly was different.

After I stopped laughing, I decided to share it with the friends and family in my address book for their amusement. We had a fun and witty email thread going for awhile “accusing” each other of being behind it. A good time was had by all, compliments of yet another Nigerian scammer.

In case any of your readers are interested, there are some blogs where the blogger decided to have some fun leading a Nigerian scammer on. All email exchanges with the scammers are posted.

I never bookmarked one, but they could likely be found on a Google search using variations of the key words “nigerian scammer blog”. The blogs are absolutely hilarious. The one thing those criminals have in common is they all appear to be as smart as a bag of hammers.

9. May Mickelow says

It is a criminal offence to utter threats and and to extort money from people and this one clearly proves that a threat is made. I would think that it is also terrorism which is also a criminal offence.

Send a copy to the R.C.M.P. Not that it will do any good but…..

Tell your parents and their friends so that they are aware that this stuff is out there and instruct them on what to do with it. File 13 it without opening them as I have found that most of them also contain virus and/or Trojan worms that make a mess of their computers. Tell your children, and anyone else in of your acquaintance and instruct them on what to do with it. My grand daughter got one of these, she is nine years old and she was scared to death by it. So it isn’t just being sent to adults.

When their service doesn’t do anything, their service should be shut down.

10. Sam Vargo says

I thought the guy who walked into a bar wearing the wrong college jersey and was killed was a bit too much for words to describe. It’s hard to believe in a country with a First Amendment, the FBI doesn’t go after kooks like this with a vengeance – that is, unless the FBI is wearing sheets and hoods, too.

11. Kathy says

http://www.ftc.gov/ Here’s the link for the Federal Trade Commission, I would hope they would want to stop these people. I did buy the Affiliate Handbook, and get your newsletter, and your RSS feed all are very valuable to me.

12. Robert Magda says

i did contact my local law enforcement as well about this letter they read it and they didnt say anything and said just delete it ,,

13. john buckley says

Well bulletpoint (cotton wool for brains), I hope you are reading this. My 10 days are up. I had to pinch myself to make sure I was still alive. Ha-Ha.

I (we) were waiting for your tin pot hitmen. Where I work in the FSU we are heavily guarded. We were looking forward to a good turkey shoot.

Not to be, what a shame. I hope that a certain agency finds you. They don’t take prisoners either. You are a terrorist and you will be treated as one.

Bringing family into your sick spam, you crossed the thin red line. Now you have nowhere to hide.

John.

• Heidi White says

i also received this email, but unlike the other readers, I kind of did believe it…. I have a very messed up ex-husband and am having a bit of a messing legal situation brewing right now, so the timing was very bad…even my teenage girls believed it was from their dad…until I called the police i thought the worse….it is nice to read that some people out there were as appauled as I am….I do not do alot on the internet or email…..in fact this is the first time I have every done this…but like I said, it is very nice to hear that I am the only person bothered by this…I believe though that I may be the only one that believed it….here’s to someone getting these morons….Heidi

• john says

Hi Heidi,

The internet is a wonderful thing, however there are MORONS as you say, who seem to get off, preying on the weak, sick and gullible and in many ways other than the internet. The internet is their new tool.

So stick in there, and you know there is always button #13 (delete), Read them, have a laugh and then press button #13.

• Susie says

The threat and extortion letter is BS. I hope that everyone they scared comes back to them sevenfold. Mercenaries should hunt them down and take them out. Just a few less scammers gone from the world. I am sick of the ploys they use to extort money from anyone.
      The yahoo and fbi are like asking a kindergarden class to rob a bank. They will never be able to catch all the scammers. There are not just from Africa. There are some many in USA working with them. This is the world we live in now.
      Beware of some of us. I will protect my family and home. So come over to my house to take me out. Hahhah if you get pass the dobermans and rotteweilers. Then you have to just have your body bag with you. I will take no hostages. Susie

• john says

Hi Susie,

I doubt very much that you would need the dobermans and rotteweilers.

This poor soul is still most likely having his diapers changed by mummy. Boo-Hoo.

John.

• john says

Hi Susie,

I doubt vey much that you would have to unleash your dobermans and rotteweilers on this person.

I would imagine that this lost soul is still having his diapers changed by his mummy. Bah-Bah!

Is it a coincidence or what, but this sick spam seems to circulate in the 4th week of the month. See below on this blog page. I have received another one 2 days ago.

14. Sally says

I’ve been surfing the ‘net since back in the day when AOL provided the first public gateway.

I’ve watched it become what it is today. The Internet is a wonderful thing, but there is a dark side and there is absolutely nothing we can do about that. It is what it is. All this outrage and complaining is a waste of energy since it accomplishes nothing.

I’ve seen some naive remarks here, so here’s a reality pill: In case you don’t watch the news, there are places on this planet where they live by the law of the jungle. Those places are completely real and have nothing in common with life in middle America, or Vancouver, or London. Such is life on Earth whether we like it or not.

Thanks to the Internet, those people are able to reach out to us, however clumsily. Furthermore, there is nothing the governments of civilized countries can do about it since they have no jurisdiction abroad.

There’s no use wasting your time complaining to government officials, either local or federal. Those emails originate half way around the world in places so alien to western culture they might as well be from another planet.

The only way to protect ourselves and our children is education. Become knowledgeable about the pitfalls of the Internet and what can be done to avoid them.

There is plenty you can do to protect yourself and your family. Search the ‘net for the information, then implement it. Once you’ve accomplished that, consider channeling your anger into helping others become educated.

End of rant.

WHOA! I thought the deluge of “My dear husband/father/brother/uncle/whatever was killed by terrorists and I need $$ to get the millions of dollars in his account out of the country … I will split it with you” … BLA BLA BLA bombarding our inboxes was bad enough.

But this email is absolutely crossing the line! I have not (yet) had this piece of [explitive] come into my inbox.

These are SICK SICK people indeed. But as the very true saying goes “what goes around, comes around” and I truly believe negative energy and deeds comes back at least double … so with the sheer number of these emails these creeps have sent out, they sure are setting themselves up for an incredible measure of payback!

16. john buckley says

Here we go again,

Another “Someone You Call Your Friend, Wants You Dead” Sick Spam. See pasted below;

==============================================================

Flag this messageSOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.Monday, June 23, 2008 7:08 PM
    From: “BLOOD BLOOD” Add sender to Contacts To: undisclosed-recipientsSOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.

I felt very sorry and bad for you, that your life is going to end like this if you don’t comply, i was paid to eliminate you and I have to do it within 10 days.

Someone you call your friend wants you dead by all means, and the person have spent a lot of money on this, the person came to us and told us that he wants you dead and he provided us your names, photograph and other necessary information we needed about you. If you are in doubt with this I will send you your name and where you are residing in my next mail.

Meanwhile, I have sent my boys to track you down and they have carried out the necessary investigation needed for the operation, but I ordered them to stop for a while and not to strike immediately because I just felt something good and sympathetic about you. I decided to contact you first and know why somebody will want you dead by all means. Right now my men are monitoring you, their eyes are on you, and even the place you think is safer for you to hide might not be.

Now do you want to LIVE OR DIE? It is up to you. Get back to me now if you are ready to enter deal with me, I mean life trade, who knows, and I might just spear your life, $8,000 is all you need to spend. You will first of all pay $3,000 then I will send the tape of the person that want you dead to you and when the tape gets to you, you will pay the remaining $5,000. If you are not ready for my help, then I will have no choice but to carry on the assignment after all I have already being paid before now.

Warning: do not think of contacting the police or even tell anyone because I will extend it to any member of your family since you are aware that somebody want you dead, and the person knows some members of your family as well.

For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action. Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact: mayhissolrestinpeace1@gmail.com

Bye.

William yahman.

===============================================================

HA-Ha, The cost has gone down. I am only worth 8,000 USD now. Times must be getting tough in the Sick Spam trade.

Sorry William ‘sawdust for brains’, Anthonio got to me first.

If you are reading this, your E Mail Headers are on the way to a certain agency and you are being traced.

Have a nice day, put on your Nikes and run, co’s you’ve got nowhere to hide.

Payback time.

17. sam gosstray says

Out of all the spam mail I have recieved this would have to be one of the most distubin one’s yet.

SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.

Someone you call your friend wants you dead by all means, and the person have spent a lot of money on this, the person also came to us and told us that he wants you dead and he provided us your names, photograph and other necessary information we needed about you.

For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action. Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact:( akajackbrown2@gmail.com )

Mr.Jack Brown.

I would hate to think that there have people fall into this trap and paid up the money for those “tapes”. These spam mail’s are becoming more twisted each and everytime. But that is one of the biggest things with the world wide web you can do and say anything and with little chance of being caught.

18. Valery says

I got this e-mail the 23th of June…in Spain! it seems it is going all around the world. Wish I knew where I could report it…one thing is to tell me that I won one million euros and another one is to threaten me and all the friends I’ve shared this e-mail with because now they know too ;)
    I wish I could find an original answer to send them back, but I’ve got too much work to do and don’t have time to spend it on this. But the idea of spaming them back with http://www.spamyourenemies.com/index.php sure sounds good and fast ;)

19. Bonni Schnabel says

In reference to the 1st blog, I am that Grandma and it did scare me to death. These people need to be punished….extortion carries a similar penalty as does murder in many states.

I am so glad to find this spot and read all of these. Helps to put my mind at ease!

Thanks all!

20. Jade McConachie says

I recieved this today (4th july)

SOMEONE YOU CALL YOUR FRIEND, WANTS YOU DEAD.”

For your own good I will advise you not to go out once is 7pm until I make out time to see you and give you the tape of my discussion with the person who want you dead then you can use it to take any legal action. Good luck as I await your reply to this e-mail contact: (mrhelljackbrown@rocketmail.com )

Mr.Jack Brown.
    …………………………………………………………………………..

After my heart stopped beating quickly, i kinda laughed at the fact that i had almost been taken in by a spammer, but i have had that many that i knew it was complete BS, i really do think there should be something the authorities could do but the only response seems to be file #13, have a good day.

21. super7dsmom says

I really didn’t know what to think either I usually do not open any of my spam mail I usually delete it too. Sometimes, without even looking threw that folder ..but occasionally I check those in case something accidently got into that folder and I should read it. Today I opened the killer mail because that too got my attention,
    I suffer from social axiety disorder and anxiety attacks…this really had me upset and frightened…I have alot of friends because I bend over backwards to not make anyone not like me and reicieving this in my mail really did a number on me at first..I have recieved other spam mail trying to tell me that I have won things or something and followed it up before responding..I decide to check this one out since I was so scared to death about it.. thank god that I found out diffrently and I can calm down…I can imagine what a paranoid person woud react to it?

These people shoud be hunted down and proacuted to the fullest extent of the law for this!

22. Rita Pardue says

On Monday, July 7, 2008, I received the email, “Someone You Call Friend, Wants You Dead.” Researching the origination of this, I learned it was sent from Moulineaux, France thru France Telecom on Orange.fr. I realized it was a spam prank, but it has crossed the line and has devalued life itself. I am now making it a personal campaign to bring awareness, educate, and encourage recipients to take a pro-active stance against life threatening correspondence and hopefully to capture the sick people that do this. This is a criminal offense to threaten life and extort money.
    To date, I have filed investigative reports with two local law enforcement agencies in Los Angeles. I have filed with the Internet Crime Complaint Center, https://www.ic3.gov which is in partnership with the FBI, National White Collar Crime Center, and the Bureau of Justice Assistance. I have written to my California Assemblyman, Cameron Smyth to see what our state government officials are doing. May I remind everyone that life is precious! Even though a threat comes thru an in-box and can be deleted with a keystroke–no one has the right to threaten to kill and extort money, no matter where they live in this world.

23. Grace says

Hey guys!
    I got that letter today, thanks guys for you comments. I was told that if I dont pay them today, I will be murdered around 7pm, it scared me becuase they have my address, probably they got it from the internet. Since I read this, I feel much better, I knew it was scams!